The Detroit Olympia Collection
This collection of fully authenticated game worn Detroit Red Wings equipment is available for your next special event at a very affordable rate.
The Detroit Olympia was home to the NHL Detroit Cougars, Detroit Falcons and Detroit Red Wings from November 27, 1927 to December 15, 1979. These were all the same team. The names just changed over the history of the franchise with the team settling on the name “Red Wings” for the start of the 1932-33 season.
In 1926, as part of the folding of the professional Western Hockey League, the NHL expanded and allowed a new franchise in Detroit. The Detroit franchise purchased the players of the WHL’s Victoria Cougars, who had won the Stanley Cup in 1925. The new Detroit franchise also adopted the Cougar’s nickname in honour of the folded franchise.
The Red Wings won the Stanley Cup seven times while making the Olympia their home arena. The legendary Hall of Fame players, Gordie Howe and Terry Sawchuk would help lead the team to three Stanley Cup victories from 1952-55.
Book the Exhibit
Preview The Exhibit
This short video contains a snapshot of what is included in the Detroit Olympia Collection exhibit.Play the Video
Remarkable survivor tells the story of how an NHL jersey was recycled over several years with several teams.
Amazing all original heavy wool game worn jersey photo matched to publicity photos of both Len Lunde and Lefty Wilson. A rare artifact from the halcyon days of the Detroit Olympia era.
Red Wool worn during the first year the Red Wings put numbers on the sleeves of their jerseys. All original sweater has over 20 team repairs and is as fresh and bright as the day it left the Detroit Red Wings dressing room over 60 years ago.
Amazing all original Detroit Red Wings 1963-64 # 17 Floyd Smith game worn jersey that was recycled to the 1964-65 CPHL Memphis Wings.